Frequently Asked Questions
We use the term ‘Legacy’ to refer to either a Modern or Fusion body style instrument, made of basswood, with a Black, White, or Cremona finish.
We use the term ‘Reissue’ to refer to Fusion body style instruments made with a double edge around the entire body. This style of body was a key feature of the original ZETA Jazz violins. In addition, as part of the ‘Reissue’ project . . . ZETA also reintroduced our original ‘Imbus’ neck, a ’92 JLP Jazz Reissue preamp, and the Signature ‘Jean-Luc Ponty’ model Jazz Violin. All ZETA Jazz bridge instruments, ie Jazz Fusion and Jazz Imbus models, come with the ’92 JLP Jazz Reissue preamp installed.
The GR-55 is a Guitar/Bass Synth . . . with a factory setup to function best with those type of instruments, ie fretted and plucked. Violins are different of course . . . and so it is best to make adjustments to the unit for our instrument of choice . . . the violin. It is important to note that the below adjustments are a ‘starting point’ I have found thru experimentation. Once you make these changes and get comfortable with what does what, it is expected that you will further tweak and ‘dial in’ your GR-55 to suit your specific instrument and style of playing.
(Note: The GR-55 is extremely versatile and complex. It is highly recommended you read the manual and get familiar with everything you can do with it and how to change those things you may want to change. There is no substitute for spending time doing this. There are many exemplary videos online where you can see the versatility and potential of this unit. Exiting from the setup screen saves your changes)
- Set your Gr-55 for Guitar (page 9, manual)
- Give your new settings a Name: Edit, arrow to GK Settings-Enter, then Enter and put in name, I use ZETA . . . press exit, exit to save
- Change the Pick-Up type: Edit, GK Settings-Enter, page to PU tab, arrow down to ‘PU Type’ – scroll to PIEZO R
- Change Scale: arrow down to ‘Scale’ – scroll to 500 mm
- Change Distance: page over to DIS . . . arrow down and change each string to 10 mm (book says this is not used if PIEZO, but I do it anyway)
- Change Sensitivity: page over to SEN . . . arrow down and change each string to 20 . . . this you can play with to suit you
- Change Velocity: page over to VEL . . . arrow down and change, Velocity Dynamics to 7, Play Feel to 3, Low Velocity Cut to 5 (these you will play with to see the differences they make in your triggering, etc.
- Change Nuance Dynamics: Nuance Dynamics to 0, Nuance Trim to 1 (you will definitely play with these to suit you)
- Optional . . . Turn Chromatic On: from Main screen, Edit, arrow over to MIDI/USB-Enter, Page over to GTR-MIDI, arrow down to Chromatic-scroll to On (this you should also play with to decide what you like)
From just these few changes you can see there are lots of subtle (and some not so subtle) possibilities available. So read the manual, watch a lot of instructional videos . . . and have fun with your ZETA and the GR-55!
Some Patches I enjoy using, Ref: USER
LP +Stack 45-2, Legato Solo 37-1, Oboe 92-1, Rich Strings 34-2, Pan Flute 98-1, Flute Solo 35-1, Nice Tenor 34-1, Strange Whistle 43-1, Acoustic Bass under Rhythm 29-2, Marimba 89-2, Moody Sax 95-1, Tap Dance Guitar 28-3, Kalimba Pad 19-2, Pipe Organ 79-2, Scat & Guitar 46-3
I move these sounds: Scroll to User 01-01, Write, Page to Exchange, Scroll to desired sound, Write. . . . So all of the above sounds (for me) are located in User Patch 01-1 to 05-3. For performance purposes you would align sounds next to each other for easy access using pedals 1-3 of the GR-55.
(Check back as I will update as I find other settings of interest)